Lead Level Designer
Specialising in AAA PC and console development, Red Kite has a proven track record in the creation of cutting-edge games across varying genres.
Having set up home in the beautiful Grade-II listed Park Row House in Leeds city centre, Red Kite continues to develop top-quality games for multiple world-class AAA publishing partners such as Sony, Microsoft, Activision, 2K, SEGA, Epic, Warner Bros., 505, Rare, Codemasters, Mediatonic and Remedy.
Several titles include Hogwarts Legacy, Fall Guys, Mafia: Definitive Edition, Mafia III: Definitive Edition, Control Ultimate Edition, Two Point Hospital, Knockout City, Battletoads, Crackdown 3, Payday 2, Team Sonic Racing, DiRT 4 and God of War III: Remastered.
It’s a very exciting time to join Red Kite; not only are we working on multiple high-profile games for gen 9 platforms, we're also developing our own IP. Here’s what we can tell you about:
· We’re partnered with Mediatonic working on the smash-hit, Fall Guys
· We’re working on a high-profile AAA 1st person shooter in UE5
· We’re working on Red Kite’s first original game
One of the most interesting aspects to working at Red Kite is the diversity of projects present within the studio. It's certainly never boring and we constantly find ourselves pushing the boundaries when it comes to the gameplay that we're creating and the technologies that we're engineering.
The Role @ Red Kite Games
Red Kite has a fantastic opportunity for a Lead Level Designer to join our team to help develop an AAA multiplayer PvE game. Working closely with other discipline leads, you will guide your team of Level Designers to create a compelling player experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in the creation of an original game within the universe of an award-winning IP. As a Lead Level Designer, you are responsible for realising the design vision through engaging mission maps and championing design quality.
In your new role you will:
· Guide the creative vision for the mission maps and review moment-to-moment gameplay
· Work closely with design leads to create cohesion between the game’s mechanics, narrative and tools
· Regularly update directors and stakeholders, collating feedback into tasks for your team
· Be the players’ advocate: Understand their needs and ensure that mission maps created by your team contribute to an engaging player experience
· Establish level design best practices
· Recognise the individual abilities of each member of your team, mentoring them through regular catchups and formal appraisals
· Create a positive inclusive work environment that will grow team motivation and performance
To be successful you will have:
· 5+ years minimum experience in Level Design or relevant role
· Significant involvement in the level design of multiple game titles, with preferably a full cycle on a AAA title (or equivalent) at Senior level or higher
· A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical, in a succinct manner
· An ability to collaborate with different disciplines and audiences
· An appreciation for existing games and an awareness of modern gaming trends; particularly in the multiplayer PvE genre
· A drive to inspire and cultivate talent
· A forward-thinking attitude towards inclusivity and mental health
Experience in any of these areas will be advantageous but not essential:
· Shipped one or more commercial titles in a lead design role
· Custom game engine experience
· Scripting knowledge (e.g., C#, Lua)
· Expertise in creating FPS or multiplayer games
· Prior experience in leading/managing/mentoring a team
Red Kite is located in central Leeds, a major European city connected to London by rapid rail links and the M1 motorway – plus the rest of the world via Leeds Bradford airport. It's home to some of the best restaurants, bars and museums in the North of England, and is within easy reach of spectacular countryside (the Yorkshire Moors and Bronte Country), historical York and the Yorkshire East coast (you should definitely check out Whitby and Runswick Bay).
We offer a superb flexible benefits package – which includes but is not limited to:
· Flexitime – Including work from home on Fridays
· 35 hour working week
· Early finish Fridays
· Annual Bonus
· 27 Days Holiday (Minimum) – Including your birthday, Duvet Days and Christmas Eve
· 5 Learning & Development Days per year – Including Udemy Access
· Employee Assistance Programme – Including health, mental health and wellbeing support
· Enhanced Maternity/Paternity/Adoption pay
· Life Assurance, Income Protection and Critical Illness
· Relocation Support & Visa Sponsorship
Nurturing Red Kite's studio culture is at the heart of everything we do and has been proudly recognised by the following awards:
· GI.biz – Best Places to Work 2022
· Best Companies – A World Class, 3 Star place to work for 2023
· TIGA STAR Award for excellence
Red Kite is a social studio – the team regularly gather for drinks, game nights, film nights, to play sports etc. – making this a great place to build a career whilst making friends...and let's not forget Red Kite's legendary Summer BBQ and our epic Christmas party – plus much more!
Red Kite's studio is relaxed and friendly. Every team member has the opportunity to shine and we pride ourselves on providing a positive social atmosphere, facilitated by shared interest groups, after-work clubs and charity fundraising events. Red Kite are proud supporters of the gaming charity SpecialEffect.
Come join the team, build a rewarding career, and help to make great games with a lovely bunch of people!